Nonprofits, Grants & Candid Resources
Funding Information Network
The Ridgefield Library is a Funding Information Network partner of the prestigious Candid, formerly named Foundation Center, in New York City. Funding Information Network partners provide under-resourced and underserved populations in need of vital information and training with tools they can use to become successful grantseekers. At locations throughout the country, network partners offer free public access to the Center’s online databases and publications, which provide detailed information on grantmakers, grant recipients, and guidance on applying for grants. Ridgefield Library has been a partner with the Foundation Center since 2011.
Foundation Directory Online by Candid
Candid’s databases are the leading resources for finding funders and provide the most comprehensive information available on grants, grantmakers, and grant recipients. Candid was created in February 2019 when Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces.
Foundation Directory Online (FDO) Essential is temporarily available for remote access during COVID-19 library closures.
Temporary access to FDO Essential is extended through December 31, 2021.
Click on the red link to get started.
FDO Essential and how it differs from FDO Professional:
- FDO Essential has advanced search features like FDO Professional
- 105,000+ grantmaker profiles versus 190,000+ profiles in FDO Professional
- 300,000+ key decision makers and leaders
- Searchable 990s and 990-PFs
- No federal funders are included
- No recipient profiles are included and you cannot search by recipient name
- No grant descriptions; grant descriptions can be found in the 990s.
- FDO Workspace
- Foundation Directory Online Professional (FDO)*
*Available on library computers only.
- Foundation Grants to Individuals Online*
*Available on library computers only.
Review the Philanthropy Classification System (PCS) used in Candid’s databases. Use the PCS terms to plan search strategies and improve search results. PCS terms are selected in the drop-down menu when searching Foundation Directory Online using Advanced Search & Filters.
FDO Quick Start
FDO Quick Start is a free version of Foundation Directory Online providing public access to essential information on over 100,000 foundations and over 250,000 IRS Forms 990 and 990-PF. Search for foundations by name, EIN, location, and assets or giving range. Then search the funder’s IRS Forms 990 or 990-PF by keyword. Register and create a login to use FDO Quick Start.
Note: Full search features are available from Foundation Directory Online Professional which is available on library computers only.
Sample Documents View a winning collection of grant proposals, letters of inquiry, business plans, and other documents you need to make your case to funders.
Ask Us Connect with Candid staff
Candid Learning (formerly GrantSpace) contains information and resources specifically designed to meet the needs of nonprofits in need of know-how for securing funding and operating effectively.
At Candid Learning, you can:
- View Sample Documents: a winning collection of grant proposals, letters of inquiry, business plans, and other documents to make your case to funders.
- Find Training. Look for Candid’s free live and on-demand training opportunities.
- Ask Us to connect with Candid staff.
- 990 Finder provides access to the most recent Forms 900 and 990-PF filed by nonprofit organizations with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Search the database of individual 990 forms of private foundations, public charities, and other nonprofits.
Professional association of over 30,000 individual and organizational members.
America’s largest independent charity evaluator; provides free ratings.
Online version of the monthly periodical.
Philanthropy data and insights.
Find and apply for federal grants.
Information on nonprofit organizations.
National repository of data on the nonprofit sector in the United States.
Nonprofit news and resources.
Volunteer Information in Connecticut
Candid Websites and Resources
In 2019, Foundation Center and Guide Star merged to become a new nonprofit entity named Candid. Candid is the nation’s leading authority on organized philanthropy, serving grantseekers, grantmakers, researchers, policymakers, the media, and the general public. Candid is headquartered in New York City and offers access to its resources and online databases at the Candid New York Library and at Funding Information Network locations nationwide.
Candid Learning (formerly GrantSpace)
A learning community for the social sector. Candid Learning contains information and resources specifically designed to meet the needs of nonprofits in need of know-how for securing funding and operating effectively. Find answers to your questions in Knowledge Base, get advice from funders and nonprofit experts, develop skills, find classes and events, or click on Ask Us to connect with a Foundation Center librarian.
990 Finder provides access to the most recent Forms 900 and 990-PF filed by nonprofit organizations with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Search the database of individual 990 forms of private foundations, public charities, and other nonprofits.
Offers real-life examples of how nonprofits are working together.
Helping foundations leverage public and private funds for improving education. Formerly called Foundations for Education Excellence.
Website is in the process of being updated as of October 2017. Foundation Stats provides the most comprehensive resource available for generating tables and charts on the size, scope, and giving priorities of the U.S. foundation community. Stats include subject areas (such as education), population groups (such as senior citizens), and geographic location (by state or nationwide).
Showcases online transparency and accountability practices of the largest foundations.
Valued resource for learning and sharing the craft of grantmaking.
GrantSpace – See Candid Learning
An easy-to-use collection of free case studies, white papers, evaluations, and issue briefs from thousands of foundations and nonprofit organizations.
Daily news service of philanthropy includes interviews; opinion; reviews of books, websites, and nonprofits; funding opportunities; and nonprofit job postings.
A hub to inspire, connect, and inform youth grantmaking. YouthGiving.org is for young people and adults interested in grantmaking where data, knowledge, stories, and resources are shared both locally and globally.
Funding Information Network print resources are located in a designated area near the Adult Services Desk. The collection includes resources on philanthropy, grants, grantwriting, nonprofit management, fundraising, and more.
- 7 Nonprofit Income Streams by Karen Eber Davis
- After the Grant: The Nonprofit’s Guide to Good Stewardship
- Complete Guide to Fundraising Management by Judith B. Margolin and Foundation Center
- Confessions of a Successful Grants Writer by Joanne Oppelt
- Content Marketing for Nonprofits by Kivi Leroux Miller
- Data Driven Nonprofits by Steve MacLaughlin
- The Donor Lifecycle Map by Deborah Kaplan Polivy
- Effective Fundraising for Nonprofits by Ilona M. Bray
- Five Strategies to Increase Annual Fund Revenue by Pamela H. Witter
- Foundation Center’s Guide to Proposal Writing by Jane C. Geever
- Grantseeker’s Guide to Winning Proposals by Foundation Center
- The Happy, Healthy Nonprofit by Beth Kanter
- Help! They Want Me to Fundraise by Susan Black
- The “How To” Grants Manual by David G. Bauer
- How to Write Successful Fundraising Appeals by Mal Warwick
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership by Joan Garry
- The Nonprofit Fundraising Solution by Laurence A. Pagnoni
- Nonprofit Management
- The Only Grant-Writing Book You’ll Ever Need by Ellen Karsh
- Personalized Philanthropy by Steven L. Meyers
- Proposal Writing: Effective Grantsmanship for Funding by Soraya M. Coley
- Raising More with Less by Amy M. Eisenstein
- Starting and Building a Nonprofit by Peri Pakroo
- Storytelling in the Digital Age by Julia Campbell
- Writing to Win Federal Grants by Cheryl L. Kester
Magazines / Newspapers
- Chronicle of Philanthropy – published 20 times per year
- Nonprofit Quarterly – published quarterly