Nonprofits, Grants & Foundation Center
Foundation Center Funding Information Network
The Ridgefield Library is a Funding Information Network partner of the prestigious Foundation Center in New York City. Formerly known as a Cooperating Collection, Funding Information Network partners provide under-resourced and underserved populations in need of vital information and training with tools they can use to become successful grantseekers. At locations throughout the country, network partners offer free public access to the Center’s online databases and publications, which provide detailed information on grantmakers, grant recipients, and guidance on applying for grants. Ridgefield Library has been a partner with the Foundation Center since 2011.
The Foundation Center’s databases are the leading resources for finding funders and provides the most comprehensive information available on grants, grantmakers, and grant recipients.
*Available on library computers only.
- Foundation Directory Online (FDO)*
- Foundation Grants to Individuals Online*
- Foundation Maps*
Review the Philanthropy Classification System (PCS) used in Foundation Center databases. Use the PCS terms to plan search strategies and improve search results. PCS terms are selected in the drop-down menu when searching Foundation Directory Online using Advanced Search & Filters.
Foundation Directory Online
FDO Quick Start is a free version of Foundation Directory Online providing public access to essential information on over 100,000 foundations and over 250,000 IRS Forms 990 and 990-PF. Search for foundations by name, EIN, location, and assets or giving range. Then search the funder’s IRS Forms 990 or 990-PF by keyword. Register and create a login to use FDO Quick Start.
Note: Full search features are available from Foundation Directory Online.
* Available on library computers only.
Contact the Ridgefield Library Adult Services Desk at 203-438-2282 x12004.
You may schedule an appointment for personalized assistance with Foundation Center resources.
GrantSpace.org to find answers to your questions in
Knowledge Base and view
Sample Documents: a winning collection of grant proposals, letters of inquiry, business plans, and other documents you need to make your case to funders.
Ask the Foundation Center: Click on the red button to contact a Foundation Center expert during business hours.
A learning community for the social sector and a service of the Foundation Center. GrantSpace contains information and resources specifically designed to meet the needs of nonprofits in need of know-how for securing funding and operating effectively.
At GrantSpace, you can:
- View Sample Documents: a winning collection of grant proposals, letters of inquiry, business plans, and other documents to make your case to funders.
- Develop skills and find training and courses to attend at Foundation Center field offices and online.
- Ask Us to connect immediately with a Foundation Center librarian during business hours.
- 990 Finder provides access to the most recent Forms 900 and 990-PF filed by nonprofit organizations with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Search the database of individual 990 forms of private foundations, public charities, and other nonprofits.
Professional association of over 30,000 individual and organizational members.
America’s largest independent charity evaluator; provides free ratings.
Online version of the monthly periodical.
Philanthropy data and insights.
Find and apply for federal grants.
Information on nonprofit organizations.
National repository of data on the nonprofit sector in the United States.
Nonprofit news and resources.
Volunteer Information in Connecticut
Foundation Center Websites and Resources
Established in 1956, the Foundation Center is the nation’s leading authority on organized philanthropy, serving grantseekers, grantmakers, researchers, policymakers, the media, and the general public. Thousands of people visit the Center’s website each day and are served in its five regional learning centers and its Funding Information Network locations nationwide.
990 Finder provides access to the most recent Forms 900 and 990-PF filed by nonprofit organizations with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Search the database of individual 990 forms of private foundations, public charities, and other nonprofits.
Helping foundations leverage public and private funds for improving education. Formerly called Foundations for Education Excellence.
Website is in the process of being updated as of October 2017. Foundation Stats provides the most comprehensive resource available for generating tables and charts on the size, scope, and giving priorities of the U.S. foundation community. Stats include subject areas (such as education), population groups (such as senior citizens), and geographic location (by state or nationwide).
Showcases online transparency and accountability practices of the largest foundations.
Valued resource for learning and sharing the craft of grantmaking.
A learning community for the social sector. GrantSpace contains information and resources specifically designed to meet the needs of nonprofits in need of know-how for securing funding and operating effectively. Find answers to your questions in Knowledge Base, get advice from funders and nonprofit experts, develop skills, find classes and events, or click on Ask Us to connect with a Foundation Center librarian.
An easy-to-use collection of free case studies, white papers, evaluations, and issue briefs from thousands of foundations and nonprofit organizations.
Offers real-life examples of how nonprofits are working together.
Daily news service of philanthropy includes interviews; opinion; reviews of books, websites, and nonprofits; funding opportunities; and nonprofit job postings.
A hub to inspire, connect, and inform youth grantmaking. YouthGiving.org is for young people and adults interested in grantmaking where data, knowledge, stories, and resources are shared both locally and globally.
Foundation Center Funding Information Network print resources are located in a designated area near the Adult Services Desk. The Foundation Center collection includes resources on philanthropy, grants, grantwriting, nonprofit management, fundraising, and more.
- 7 Nonprofit Income Streams by Karen Eber Davis
- After the Grant: The Nonprofit’s Guide to Good Stewardship
- Complete Guide to Fundraising Management by Judith B. Margolin and Foundation Center
- Confessions of a Successful Grants Writer by Joanne Oppelt
- Content Marketing for Nonprofits by Kivi Leroux Miller
- Data Driven Nonprofits by Steve MacLaughlin
- The Donor Lifecycle Map by Deborah Kaplan Polivy
- Effective Fundraising for Nonprofits by Ilona M. Bray
- Five Strategies to Increase Annual Fund Revenue by Pamela H. Witter
- Foundation Center’s Guide to Proposal Writing by Jane C. Geever
- Grantseeker’s Guide to Winning Proposals by Foundation Center
- The Happy, Healthy Nonprofit by Beth Kanter
- Help! They Want Me to Fundraise by Susan Black
- The “How To” Grants Manual by David G. Bauer
- How to Write Successful Fundraising Appeals by Mal Warwick
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership by Joan Garry
- The Nonprofit Fundraising Solution by Laurence A. Pagnoni
- Nonprofit Management
- The Only Grant-Writing Book You’ll Ever Need by Ellen Karsh
- Personalized Philanthropy by Steven L. Meyers
- Proposal Writing: Effective Grantsmanship for Funding by Soraya M. Coley
- Raising More with Less by Amy M. Eisenstein
- Starting and Building a Nonprofit by Peri Pakroo
- Storytelling in the Digital Age by Julia Campbell
- Writing to Win Federal Grants by Cheryl L. Kester
Magazines / Newspapers
- Chronicle of Philanthropy – published 20 times per year
- Nonprofit Quarterly – published quarterly